Tuesday, February 12

Today is Chinese New Year (CNY). I visited my father-in law house. We gave him 'Ang Pow' and wished him HAPPY NEW YEAR. As a person of Malay origin I find it interesting to understand the tradions of CNYin Singapore. First of all during the CNY festive season, I noticed that Chinese like wearing red, according to my wife red symbolises prosperity and luck. Even numbers is the 'in' thing, we exchange oranges that must be given in even numbers. ODD is out. I gave my father in law 2 oranges. Even the 'Ang Pow' I gave him is in even number. I can't tell you how much I gave or else you will look for me for the 'Ang Pows'.

Anyway, I forgot to write about the reunion dinner we had at father's house in the evening eve of CNY. We had a SPICY dinner something different from the norm. Thanks to the food I bought at Hjh Maimunah Restaurant. The food was delicious and everyone perspired. We also had 'steam boat' where we short boil seafood in the middle of table. The event lasted for an hour and everyone was full in the stomach.

No comments: