Saturday, February 9

The price of some grocery items in some Singapore supermarket increased by up to 100% during the Chinese New Year festival season. Price of a Pomfret fish increased from SGD$18 3 days ago to SGD$31 per kilogramme today. I was quite surprise in the increase of price. However, I understand that the demand for pomfret fish surpassed the supply side of it as Chinese love steamed pomfret fish for their annual reunion dinner. Furthermore,I noticed that the consumers prefer to buy these fishes just a day before the Chinese Lunar New Year reunion dinner because they were more concern on the freshness of the fishes. One consumer I met at Shin Sheong Supermarket in Ang Mo Kio said,"I like the fish to be fresh for the reunion dinner tomorrow that is why I buy it only by today"

No comments: